Monday 12 January 2009

Balance

This happens to be one of my favorite pictures. Not only because it has got a dragon there (yes this does look cool), but it also has the Yin Yang at the heart of the picture. Now I probably don't know the exact meaning of the Yin Yang (could always looks wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang), but to me this sign represnts the balance of everything in life. I quite agree with it, for example with good comes bad. You cannot appreciate one without the other. If there was only happiness in this world without any sadness we would never really appreciate the happiness.

I feel it even applies in physics (yes I am a geek, and I do like physics but more on that some other time), the Third Law of Physics pretty much says "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." There are also tons of things in phycis that seem to balance out, such natural frequencies, pendulums and much more which behave in a sinusoidal manner. When some thing is sinusoidal it oscillates about a certain point, but it always balances out to the mean point.

So balance exists in so many natural things, but could it be that we are all striving to achieve balance in our lives? We tend to be civilised and try to live by a certain set of rules, yet there is always a part in us (should I say animal instinct) that wants to be free and spontaneous. I believe we havent quite found the perfect balance as yet, and in finding this balance lies the key to happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment